Developed in November 2016, the purpose of the Newborn Special Interest Group (Newborn SIG) is to provide networking opportunities for all members of the NAPNAP organization who work with newborns from delivery to outpatient primary care. This SIG will be vital in establishing specific standards, protocols, and guidelines to positively affect outcomes of newborns.
A newborn infant, or neonate, spans from birth to 28 days of life. During this time according to the World Health Organization, the child is at the highest risk of dying. It is imperative this population is cared for by knowledgably trained professionals during this time, to foster the child’s foundation for a healthy life.
- Increase membership by 5% through recruitment.
- Engage online SIG community with hot topic information/education quarterly.
- Offer quarterly drawing to win a NB SIG membership based off participation in monthly education questions.
- Participate in SIG Showcase at NAPNAP Conference.
- Contribute to NAPNAP Foundation.
In January of each year, we will offer the Newborn SIG members an opportunity to win a free, one-year membership, to the Newborn SIG the following year.
Visit Newborn SIG Website
- BiliTool Use and the Role of Transcutaneous Bilirubinometer: http://bilitool.org and https://peditools.org/bili/index.php
- AAP Clinical Practice Guideline on Management of Hyperbilirubinemia in the Newborn 35 or More Weeks of Gestation. Pediatrics, July 2004
- AAP Clinical Report on Late Preterm Infants: A Population at Risk. Pediatrics, Dec 2007
- HIV: Infants with perinatal exposure to Maternal Infections: Hepatitis B, Herpes, Syphilis, Tuberculosis
- AAP Clinical Report: Evaluation and Management of the Infant Exposed to HIV-1 in the US. Pediatrics, Jan 2009/Dec 2012:
- AAP Clinical Report on Herpes: Guidance on Management of Asymptomatic Neonates Born to Women with Active Genital Herpes Lesions. Pediatrics, Feb 2013
- Syphilis: Rates of congenital syphilis increasing in US. AAP News, May 2016
- Presentation of Congenital Heart Disease in the Neonate and Young Infant. Peds in Review, April 2007
- Oxygen Saturation Screening for Critical Congenital Heart Disease. NeoReviews, Dec 2012
- Problems of the Infant of a Diabetic Mother. NeoReviews, Nov 2010
- AAP Clinical Report: Postnatal Glucose Homeostasis in Late Preterm and Term Infants. Pediatrics, March 2011
- Finnegan Scoring and Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome: http://www.academyofneonatalnursing.org/NAS/FinneganNASTool.pdf
- Neonatal Drug Withdrawal. PED Feb 2012: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/2/e540
- Hydronephrosis in the Fetus and Neonate. Causes, Management and Outcomes. NEOReviews May 2010: http://neoreviews.aappublications.org/content/neoreviews/11/5/e236.full.pdf
- Motility of the Colon and Anorectum. NEOReviews Jan 2006: http://neoreviews.aappublications.org/content/neoreviews/7/1/e34.full.pdf
- Circumcision Policy Statement AAP Policy Statement PED Sept 2012, Models, PowerPoint, Video: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/130/3/585.full.pdf
- Principles and Guidelines for Early Hearing Detection and Intervention, AAP Policy Statement. PED Oct 2007: https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/pehdic/pages/newborn-screening-for-cchd.aspx
- Hearing Policy Statement AAP: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/120/4/898.full.pdf
- Neonatal Eye Disorders requiring Ophthalmologic Consultation. NEOReviews April 2011: http://neoreviews.aappublications.org/content/12/4/e216
- Red Reflex Examination in Neonates, Infants and Children. AAP Policy Statement. PED DeC 2008: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/122/6/1401
- Vitamin K and the Newborn AAP Policy Statement. PED July 2003: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/112/1/191
- SIDS and Other Sleep Related Deaths: Updated recommendations AAP Policy Statement. PED Oct 2016: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2016/10/20/peds.2016-2938
- Genetic Testing and Newborn Screening PIR Nov 2011 http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/pedsinreview/32/11/490.full.pdf
- Infants of Drug-Dependent Mothers. PIR Jan 2011 http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/pedsinreview/32/1/5.full.pdf
- Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip. AAP Clinical Guideline. PIR Dec 2012 http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/33/12/553
- Sacral Dimples PIR Mar 2011: http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/32/3/109
- Transient Tachypnea of the Newborn PIR Nov 2008: http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/29/11/e59
- Newborn Respiratory Disorders PIR Dec 2010: http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/31/12/487
- Congenital Syphilis. Red Book Section 3: https://redbook.solutions.aap.org/chapter.aspx?sectionId=88187246&bookId=1484&resultClick=24#91040867
- Hyperbilirubinemia in the Newborn PIR Aug 2011: http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/32/8/341
- Care of the Well Newborn PIR Jan 2012 http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/33/1/4
- Breastfeeding: More than just good Nutrition PIR July 2011http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/32/7/267
- Cultural Influences on Infant Feeding Practices PIR Mar 2009: http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/30/3/e11
- AAP Residency Breastfeeding Curriculum: https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/Breastfeeding/Pages/Residency-Curriculum.aspx
- The Pediatrician’s role in encouraging exclusive breastfeeding PIR Aug 2017: http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/38/8/353
- The Role of the Pediatrician in Preventing Congenital Malformations PIR Oct 2011: http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/content/pedsinreview/32/10/411.full.pdf