As Texas and Louisiana continue to be slammed by Hurricane Harvey and the ensuing tropical storm, the epic flooding and devastation mounts. The NAPNAP leadership and staff are deeply concerned for the children affected by this disaster and our members and their families and friends in the area. There is an immediate need for help of all kinds but cash donations are expedient and greatly appreciated. NAPNAP strongly encourages everyone to directly provide donations to any of the below suggested national or local charities-or one you prefer. NAPNAP has already made a direct contribution to one of the below. Thank you to all our brave pediatric-focused NPs and first responders for your work.
- The Texas Diaper Bank is putting together relief kit for families with very small children who need access to clean diapers in the midst of flooding and evacuations.
- The Driscoll Children's Hospital in Corpus Christi.
- Texas Children's Hospital in Houston
- The SPCA of Texas is taking in hundreds of animals transferred from shelters on the coast who aren't safe where they are right now.
- Direct Relief USA offers prescription drugs and other medical supplies to those who need it in emergency situations.
- Houston food banks listed by Houston Press
- American Red Cross: To donate, visit redcross.org, call 1-800-REDCROSS or text "HARVEY" to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
- The Salvation Army: To donate, visit helpsalvationarmy.org, call 1-800-SAL-ARMY or text "STORM" to 51555.
- Catholic Charities USA: To donate, visit catholiccharitiesusa.org.
- NAPNAP is assisting the NAPNAP Houston Area Chapter to collect monetary contributions to help members of the chapter and their families, as well as members of the greater Houston Gulf Coast community. If you would like to make a contribution, log into napnap.org and click on the Store link in the upper right corner of the screen. Once in the store, scroll down to select the Hurricane Harvey Contribution Fund.
Additionally, NAPNAP has several resources available for both providers and families. NAPNAP Children in Disasters SIG resources can be accessed here and our Be Prepared page can help families prepare for disasters like Hurricane Harvey in the future. NAPNAP also has resources for parents/caregivers to use when talking to children and teens about coping with stressful events and for children/teens who may be experiencing stress and anxiety.