More Than a "Global Problem"
Human trafficking doesn't just happen in foreign countries. All 50 U.S. states have had reports of human trafficking — but you can help prevent it!
Currently, the Trafficking Victims Protection Act (TVPA) is the most comprehensive piece of federal legislation dedicated to addressing human trafficking. Passed in 2000, the TVPA defines the two types of human trafficking as:
- Sex trafficking: the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for the purpose of a commercial sex act, in which the commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion. Or in which the person induced to perform such act has not attained 18 years of age
- Labor trafficking: the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery
Learn more from our recent Child Health Policy Learning Collaborative meeting on human trafficking.
Provider Continuing Education
We plan to launch online pediatric-focused provider education on PedsCESM in January 2018. Our 39th National Conference on Pediatric Health Care hosted in March 2018 will also include educational sessions focused on human trafficking and kids.
Human Trafficking Prevention Resources
January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month. Learn more about the role you play in preventing human trafficking with the resources we have provided and share them with your professional or personal colleagues.
- NAPNAP launches NAPNAP Partners for Vulnerable Youth with Goal to Improve Health of Vulnerable Children Through Support, Resources of Partners - Nov. 9, 2017, Press Release
- What life is like when you're being sex trafficked, as told by a survivor - July 30, 2017 - NBC Today
- You could help save a trafficking victim’s life with your hotel room pic - June 29, 2016, The Huffington Post
- Backpage.com shuts down adult services ads after relentless pressure from authorities - Jan. 10, The Washington Post
- Human trafficking cases increase more than 50 percent in Florida - Jan. 15, CBS News
- Flight attendants train to spot human trafficking - Feb. 4, NBC News
- Assumptions blind practitioners to human trafficking - June 26, MedScape
- Human trafficking and smuggling rile San Antonio -- and beyond - July 23, CNN