Welcome! We know that it's hard to be a newbie. Where to go? What to do? Will I have anyone to talk to? Don't stress. Each year, more than 100 pediatric-focused APRNs from around the country are first timers at our national conference and they all survive and leave with a smile. Take some time to review the below tips to enhance your first (of many!) visits to our National Conference on Pediatric Health Care. But don't take our word for it, hear it from past first time attendees!
Before You Go
- Make sure you've signed up for your preferred sessions and special events by verifying the registration confirmation email you received. You can access our online schedule to learn more about course content, learning objectives and presenters.
- Book your hotel reservation at the Hyatt Regency Chicago to enjoy discounted nightly rates and free guestroom WiFi for NAPNAP conference attendees. Discounted block closes Feb. 16, 2018 and is on a space available basis.
- Check out our travel/transportation page to find great deals in and around Chicago. We also have links for those seeking to share a room or ride!
- Download our conference mobile app available beginning March 12 to learn more about our conference, including conference schedule, personal agenda, maps and exhibitors.
- Use the link in your confirmation email to download presentation hand-outs to your tablet or laptop. Printed copies and printers are not available on site, with the exception of certification review courses and select intensive workshops.
- Watch out for special emails or mailings from our partners about free special events and opportunities hosted during our conference, including ancillary meal events.
- Pick up your badge using our self-serve kiosks in our conference registration area located at the Hyatt Regency Chicago East Tower, Ballroom level. The kiosk will also print any pre-registered tickets for special events and pre-purchased books.
- Grab a conference tote bag in the conference registration area which includes our program book, at a glance schedule/map and other goodies.
- Visit our ribbon board to get your First Time Attendee ribbon!
- Talk to people - our members and other conference attendees are very friendly and helpful.
- Explore our host city during down time, and invite your new friends to join you.
- Look for staff or board members wearing "Can I Help You?" badges to assist you. You can also ask for assistance at our information booth in the conference registration area and the NAPNAP Pavilion in the exhibit hall.
- Wear your name badge to all conference-related sessions, events and exhibit hall.
What You Are Eligible to Attend
- Pre-register for our kick off social, general session luncheon and business meeting breakfast by March 2, 2018, to attend these special events. Tickets will be printed with your badge at our self-serve kiosk.
- Plan to attend as many of our general and concurrent sessions and poster presentations as you can.
- Spend time learning more about the latest in child health and advanced practice nursing products and services in our exhibit hall. It's also a great place to score free morning beverages.
- Take advantage of the free ancillary meal events. Admittance is managed by the hosting company.
- Don't miss our special interest group (SIG) showcase to learn more about the great work of these groups and how you can get involved.
- Network at our Student Reception for students, faculty and preceptors only. Pre-registration is required.
When You Get Home
- Complete session evaluations for each session you attended to earn CE contact hours. The system is available March 22 to April 22. Upon completion of your evaluations, you can print a certificate for your files.
- Start planning to join us in New Orleans on March 7-10, 2019 for our next national conference and watch your email for news about our 2018 specialty symposia!
What to Wear/Bring
- Bring your favorite walking shoes to keep your tootsies happy as you cruise between sessions, the exhibit hall and special events.
- Plan to wear business casual attire, but you'll notice session and poster presenters often dress up for their presentations.
- Bring layers because room temperatures can fluctuate based on time of day, location in the building and number of people in the room.
- Don't forget your tablet or laptop containing your session hand-outs so you can take notes as you go.
- Walk or jog with a buddy.
- Keep your purse/bag zipped and don't leave it unattended in public spaces.
- Protect your valuables by keeping them with you or locked in a room safe at all times.
- Do not wear your name badge out in public.
- See something - say something!