The Childhood Obesity Prevention Special Interest Group (CO SIG) was established for nurse practitioners to gain knowledge regarding childhood obesity prevention and for sharing ideas among nurse practitioners. CO SIG members can make a difference about childhood obesity by networking and sharing information with other nurse practitioners from a variety of specialties and settings to provide improved care for patients with nutrition (obesity) and/or physical fitness issues.
- ChopChop Magazine - This publication’s goal is to educate kids to cook and be nutritionally literate, empower them to actively participate as health partners with their families, and help establish and support better eating habits for a lifetime of good nutrition.
- The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) has identified the most recent clinical practice guidelines for managing overweight and obesity in adults and children. For the most recent guidelines, click here.
- The American Heart Association (AHA) - AHA provides information and resources about both obesity and childhood obesity. If childhood obesity can be prevented, kids will be less susceptible to heart disease and adult obesity. Included is information about obesity, what being overweight in childhood means, and tips to prevent childhood obesity.
- Obesity Medicine Association - They provide clinicians with different resources about obesity for patients, along with tools and guidelines to diagnose and treat obesity. They also provide clinicians with information about different career paths in the field of obesity medicine, informs them of conferences to attend, and overall gives an understanding of what obesity medicine is.
- The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) - AHRQ provides different articles, tools, and resources to help make better treatment choices.
- Go Slow Whoa - Certain foods are good to eat any time, sometimes, or only once in a while. Go Slow Whoa can help parents and children pick healthier foods for their families to have in the house and when to eat certain foods.
- Myplate - This organization gives great information about eating healthy, exercising and provides resources to help maintain a healthy lifestyle. For kids, it provides games, activity sheets, recipes, videos, and songs about eating right and exercising.
SIG Award Opportunities:
In the fall of each year, we offer SIG members and students the opportunity to apply for the Childhood Obesity SIG Scholarly Activity and/or Conference Sponsorship Awards. Learn how you can apply now
Position Statement on the Identification and Prevention of Overweight and Obesity in the Pediatric Population (2015)